You can find the most frequently asked questions by prospective students below. Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any other questions. In addition, you can find more detailed information about starting your studies in the handbook we sent you.

Living and staying in Liechtenstein

Where is the best place to live in the Rhine Valley Region? And how can I find apartments?
We recommend living in Liechtenstein, Austria or Switzerland for the time of your studies. 

You can live in the student dormitory which is located close to the university. Staying at the dorms is definitely a unique experience as you will live with many other students from all over the world. For more information about availability and booking please contact Gabriela Cortés (gabriela.cortes@uni.li). Additional information about living and staying in Liechtenstein and the Rhine Valley Region can be found on www.uni.li/living. 

Important: We support you with the application for a residence permit to stay in Liechtenstein. If you apply for residence in Austria or Switzerland you must take care of all the formalities yourself. Non-European citizens holding a visa can only live in Liechtenstein.

Do I need a residence permit for the Principality of Liechtenstein? If so, what is needed to apply?

Students who wish to take up temporary residence in Liechtenstein for the purpose of study need to apply for a short-term residence permit. The coordination center of permits will assist you with the application process. 
Students from third countries require a visa to enter Liechtenstein.
Please remember that the University of Liechtenstein provides support – do not start the procedure yourself and contact the university’s coordination center for permits.

EU/EWR citizens are free to choose Austria or Switzerland for living. If you choose to live in Austria/Switzerland we cannot assist you with the application process for a residence permit and other formalities.

Please contact Fabienne Vils, Natalina Pisani

Visa application for students from third countries
Students from most third countries require a visa for entry to Liechtenstein. The University of Liechtenstein provides a bank guarantee, after a deposit amounting to CHF 3,000 is paid by the student to the University of Liechtenstein. This amount is retained as a security deposit and will not be refunded until the finish of studies. For additional information regarding legal requirements and details concerning the application procedure, please contact the Coordination Centre for permits at: bewilligungen@uni.li.

Please contact  Fabienne Vils, Natalina Pisani

The blog post "Seven steps to studying in Liechtenstein" explains in detail prerequisites and procedures for international students from countries outside the EU/EEA who want to study at the University of Liechtenstein.


Compulsory health insurance

Do I need an insurance when studying in Liechtenstein?
Individuals who live in Liechtenstein for more than three months are legally required to take out a health insurance. EU students legally insured in their own country are exempt from taking out the mandatory insurance upon presentation of the European Health Insurance Card or a provisional substitute confirmation. Both may be requested from the health insurance provider in your home country. Travel insurance from your home country is not accepted as insurance coverage. 

If you enter from a country which does not have a reciprocal insurance agreement with Liechtenstein, you are required to take out insurance either in your home country or in Liechtenstein. On request we supply a list of insurance companies in Liechtenstein.

Private liability insurance
It covers damages inflicted by students on other persons or items. Also covered are damages caused by the student in his/her apartment or room. Private liability insurance costs between CHF 85.- and CHF 150.- per year with a CHF 5 million limit of indemnity. Although it is not mandatory, we nevertheless recommend that foreign students purchase private liability insurance.

Starting your studies

When does the semester start?
As soon as you are accepted at the University of Liechtenstein you will receive a Welcome Package, containing all relevant information. Officially, the fall term always starts in the beginning of September and the spring term starts in the beginning of February with an introduction week. The introduction week for the next semester will be taking place from 1 to 6 September 2020.

What is going to happen during the introduction week?
The introduction week is the starting point of your studies at the University of Liechtenstein. It will help you to find your way around Liechtenstein, the university and your study program. During the introduction week you will get in touch with fellow students and it should help you have a pleasant start. 

Do I have to sign up for any courses before the semester starts?
Yes. You have to sign up for the cross faculty course(s) before the introduction week. You will receive information about the exact process via e-mail. You will find the registration deadlines and further information following this link
The registration for all other courses of your studies and your exams is open also after the introduction week. Please make sure that the cross faculty courses you select upfront fit into your study schedule. If you have any questions in regards to courses please contact Roman Banzer (cross faculty courses) or your program manager. 

Are there any other recommendations?
Join our facebook group Uni.Li Freshmen / Freshwoman to get to know other freshmen 
and to get useful information about your studies, Liechtenstein and current events. 
And follow us on Instagram.

Who can help if I have any questions?
Welcome Team
If you have any questions send a quick email to welcome@uni.li


How do I reach the university?

Where do I get a bus ticket?
You can buy a bus ticket at the LieMobil office at Postpl. 7, 9494 Schaan. Or on Monday September 2nd at the Introduction Week. The local public transport company "LIEmobil" will sell anual tickets at the Campus. Students pay CHF 280 until the accomplishment of the 25th year of age, all others pay CHF 370. As Liechtenstein fosters the use of public transportation, the annual ticket is subsidized by some municipalities. The municipalities Vaduz, Triesen, Schaan, Planken and Schellenberg refund 50% of the price upon presentation of a proof of purchase if you are registered there. Refunding practices of other municipalities may be requested at the relevant town hall.

Where can I park at the university?/ Where do I get a parking ticket?


How and when do I get my lecture schedule?
You will receive an overview of all lectures available from your program manager during the introduction week or even before (depending on the study program). For further information please contact your study coordinator. Please make sure that the cross faculty courses you select upfront fit into your study schedule.

Who can I contact in case of a problem? 
Executive Director (of your program)
If you have any questions regarding the programmes or lectures please do not hesitate to contact your Executive Directors.

ULSV is the students council of the University of Liechtenstein and represents all students. If you have any problems or ideas please contact them.

Study Financing and Working in Liechtenstein

Is it possible to work while studying?
Everything depends on your study program and your curriculum. Students who live in Liechtenstein with a short-term residence permit are allowed to work up to 35% during the semester and 100% during semester breaks. We recommend all students to work no more than 35% besides their studies. In Liechtenstein many companies are looking for part-time employees with flexible working hours. All available offers are published at our job bank on unicommunity.li.

Do I need a working permit to work while studying?
All students with a valid residence permit in Liechtenstein need to get a working permit in advance from the Ausländer- und Passamt. It is necessary to get in touch with them before you start working in order to receive the permit. The employer needs to hand in a "Stellenantrittsgesuch" (job application request) for the student's job. If this application is handed in too late, you might be charged with a fine of CHF 400. For questions about the working permit, please contact the Ausländer- und Passamt directly.

I am looking for a job to gain some professional experience. Can the university assist?
The university offers a special platform for students: unicommunity.li  On this page students can find a wide range of job offers. In addition, the career:service arranges career workshops, individual coaching and events with regional companies.

Do I have the possibility to receive any funding?
You can apply for a variaty of scholarships which are provided by the different institutes and their partners. Further information.

Discover Liechtenstein

The Principality of Liechtenstein lies in the heart of Europe in the Alpine Rhine Valley, surrounded by its neighbours Switzerland and Austria. Liechtenstein is the fourth smallest state in Europe, with a highly developed economy, a strong export industry, efficient financial services companies and a wide range of small and medium-sized enterprises. As a modern economic centre, Liechtenstein stands for innovation, development, security and stability.
The University of Liechtenstein impresses not only with its unique learning environment, but also with an attractive leisure environment in the quadrangle of Liechtenstein, Eastern Switzerland, Vorarlberg and the southern German Lake Constance region. Those who are interested will find a lively cultural scene and various opportunities for leisure activities on and off campus. Student organisations ensure that the diversity of the region can be experienced.
Further information: Liechtenstein Tourism