Answers to the most important questions

Do you have questions about the Master’s programme, funding opportunities, the university, or living in Liechtenstein? If your questions are not answered here, you can contact us directly at any time. You can also visit us on Instagram to get a first impression of what it is like to study and live in Liechtenstein.


Who can I contact if I have any questions?
If you have any questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact us:

Executive Director: Daniel Knapp
Programme Administrator: Ingrid Schlatter
Academic Directors: Prof. Dr. Pavel Laskov

The university offers a professional consolation network if students face any problems. You can also contact the ULSV, the student council of the University of Liechtenstein.

Study requirements

Does the Master's Programme in Information Systems require special previous knowledge?
No. The backgrounds of the students in the Master’s Programme in Information Systems differ widely and include work in areas like management, economics, and computer science. You should prepare yourself for some courses if you lack sufficient background knowledge, but you will be informed in advance if such is the case.

How important is programming knowledge?
Coding naturally plays a role in an Information Systems Master’s programme, but special previous knowledge is not required for any course. For example, with a degree in Business Administration or Economics, you are well prepared for the Master’s programme.


How can I apply?
Detailed information on the application and admission process can be found here.

Can I submit application documents after the application deadline?
If you have not yet met all the admission requirements when you apply, but we expect from the information you sent that you will meet the admission requirements by the beginning of the semester, you will receive a provisional confirmation and the semester invoice.

Some documents (e.g., language certificates or the Bachelor's certificate) can be submitted after the application deadline, but in no case later than at the beginning of the semester. Please contact us if you will be submitting such documents after the application deadline, as final admission to the programme is possible only after all documents have been submitted.

Are application fees or tuition fees refundable?
The administrative fee for applications cannot be refunded or credited to other fees. As it is governed in Art. 29(1) of the student regulations, tuition fees can generally not be refunded.

Accommodation and stay

Where is the best place to live in the Rhine Valley Region?
We recommend living in Liechtenstein, Austria or Switzerland while you are enrolled in the programme.

You can live in the student dormitory, which is located close to the university. Staying at the dorms is an interesting and positive experience, as you will be living with other students from all over the world. For more information about availability and booking, please contact Gabriela Cortés. Additional information about living and staying in Liechtenstein and the Rhine Valley Region can be found here.

We can help you with your application for a residence permit to stay in Liechtenstein. However, if you apply for residence in Austria or Switzerland, you must take care of it yourself. Non-EU/Non-EEA citizens who hold a visa can live only in Liechtenstein.

Do I need a residence permit for the Principality of Liechtenstein?
EU/EEA and Swiss citizens who wish to take up temporary residence in Liechtenstein for the purpose of study must apply for a short-term residence permit, which are issued by the Immigration and Passport Office. The Coordination Center of Permits can assist you with the application process.

Students from other countries require a visa to enter Liechtenstein. Do not start the procedure yourself but contact the university’s Coordination Center of Permits. The university will provide a bank guarantee after you submit a deposit of CHF 3,000 to the University of Liechtenstein. This amount is retained as a security deposit and is refunded after you leave the university and the country. For additional information regarding legal requirements and details concerning the application procedure, please contact the Coordination Centre of Permits at: bewilligungen@uni.li.

EU/EEA citizens can also live in Austria or Switzerland, of course, but we cannot assist you with the application process for a residence permit or other requirements related to getting permission to live in those countries.


Do I need an insurance when studying in Liechtenstein?
Health insurance
Individuals who live in Liechtenstein for more than three months are legally required to have health insurance. EU students who are legally insured in their own countries are exempt if they have the European Health Insurance Card or a provisional substitute confirmation, which may be requested from the health insurance provider in your home country. Travel insurance from your home country is not accepted as insurance coverage.

Those from countries that do not have a reciprocal insurance agreement with Liechtenstein must take out insurance either in their home countries or in Liechtenstein/Switzerland. On request, we can supply a list of insurance companies in Liechtenstein/Switzerland.

Private liability insurance
Private liability insurance covers damages that an individual inflicts on other persons or on property, including damage to students’ apartments or rooms. Private liability insurance costs between CHF 85 and CHF 150 per year for up to CHF 5 million of indemnity. Although liability insurance is not mandatory, we recommend that students from abroad have it.

Starting your studies

When does the semester start?
The winter semester always starts in the beginning of September and the summer semester starts in the beginning of February. Both semesters start with an introduction week.

What happens during the introduction week?
During the introduction week you will receive all the information you need about Liechtenstein, the university, and your study program. You can also get to know your fellow students and have a lot of fun through various events. Participation in the introduction week is voluntary but is strongly recommended.

When do I have to register for courses?
You will receive an e-mail with all necessary information about registering for cross-faculty courses, including all registration deadlines. Note that you must register for cross-faculty courses before starting your studies. You can log in using the user code that you have already received from us.

Registration for all other courses and for your exams is also open after the introductory week. Please make sure that the cross-faculty electives you have chosen do not collide with your other courses.

What tips do you have for starting my studies?
You can visit us on Instagram to get a first impression of what it is like to study and live in Liechtenstein. We will inform you regularly about activities at the university and regularly post impressions about studying in Liechtenstein. We have also prepared a checklist for you to work through before you start your studies so you can arrive stress-free.

Who can help me with questions?
The knowledge and experience of the university's Welcome Guides (welcome@uni.li) can help make your start at the university as easy as possible. The Welcome Guides can provide information about living, travelling, and studying in Liechtenstein before you arrive.

Our helpline (+423 265 1298) can also help you with questions about accommodations, travel, or transportation or in case of an emergency. The helpline is available for any queries two weeks prior to the start of your studies.


Where can I find the university?

How can I get around Liechtenstein?
You can buy a "semester" bus ticket during your introduction week, so you can get around Liechtenstein and Vorarlberg for CHF 280 (in cash) if you are age 25 or younger.

Where can I park at the university? Where do I get a parking permit?


When and where do I get my lecture schedule?
You will receive a complete introduction to all lectures during the introductory week.

What are the study contents of the programme?
You can find detailed information about the study contents here.


Can I work while studying?
Almost all modules take place in block events from Thursday to Saturday, so it is relatively easy for students to work while they are enrolled. Students who live in Liechtenstein with a short-term residence permit are allowed to work up to 35% during the semester and 100% during semester breaks. We recommend that students do not work more than 35%. You can find further information here.

I am looking for a job to gain professional experience. Can the university support me in my search?
There are good opportunities and companies in Liechtenstein and the region that offer part-time jobs with flexible working hours. The university offers a special platform for students, career:service, where students can find a wide range of job offers. The career:service page also arranges career workshops, individual coaching, and events with regional companies.

Can I get a scholarship/financial support?
The university offers a number of scholarships for students. As a Master’s student in Information Systems, you have some especially interesting opportunities such as the Hilti Fellowship. Details on funding opportunities can be found here.